Call for Summer 2021 Artist-in-Residency Applicants
Apply for a rewarding, growth experience as an Artist-In Resident at West Acres Regional Shopping Center.
West Acres is accepting applications for its tenth Artist-In-Residency. It is a 4 to 8-week residency dependent upon the artist’s needs and the availability of a suitable space in West Acres. The Residency’s start and end dates are tentatively scheduled between mid-June and mid-August 2021.
West Acres is interested in regional artists, from all artistic disciplines, who have demonstrated artistic excellence and have achieved demonstrable professional accomplishment; or who, through submitted photos and descriptions, display exceptional promise. The Residency may be filled by a singular artist; a group of artists working together within a body of related work; or an organization/company such as dance, music or theatre.
West Acres Provides:
- Space within a temporarily vacant, in-line tenant (the size and space location are to be determined);
- A stipend of $350.00 per week of Residency for the requirement of being on-site for 20 hours per week during West Acres’ open hours). A group would share the stipend.
- Printing of signs designed by, or in collaboration with, the artist(s), including a store banner, standee and/or 22×28” signs;
- An onsite meeting to:
- Answer any questions
- Tour the space
- Collaborate on ideas
- Learn more about mall environment
- Learn about setting up the space to ensure it is an engaging environment.
- Assistance in marketing the Residency, including West Acres’ electronic signs, social media, and website.
- Optional furniture rental for the space
Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by West Acres’ leadership team based on:
- The quality of the Residency concept;
- Artist experience and excellence demonstrated through a body of work;
- Artist’s planned, interactive engagement with West Acres’ guests;
- The desire of the artist to learn within the experience.
Application Deadline: To be considered for the West Acres’ Summer 2021 Artist-In Residency, the completed application must be received by West Acres no later than Friday, June 11, 2021.
Decision: Applications will be reviewed, and a decision will be rendered Monday, June 14, 2021. The applicants will be notified of the results, by phone and/or email after the decision is made.
How to apply: Interested parties should submit the online, West Acres’ Summer 2021 Artist-In-Residency Form no later than Friday, June 11, 2021.
Applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of their Residency proposal.
Use of the Residency: Artist, partnering artists, or companies (such as theatre, music, or dance) should use this residency to:
- Continue to produce a body of work in the space, including new works and work in progress;
- Explore new, creative processes;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to customer engagement, interaction, experience, and/or education.
- Install your original work in the space for, viewing, performance, listening, and/or sale.
Requirements of Artist(s):
- Maintain a minimum of 20 scheduled hours per week in the space and during a variety of mall hours which can differ from week to week of the Residency. It must include some peak traffic times such as Saturdays or Sundays, or after 2 p.m. on week days;
- Regular interaction and planned engagement and/or educational experiences designed for mall guests including, but not limited to, scheduled events, classes, on-going hands-on engagement opportunities, and more;
- Provide a one-of-a-kind art experience for West Acres’ guests;
- Work with a positive, open attitude.
- Be a resident of North Dakota, western Minnesota, or northeastern South Dakota;
- Produce a piece to leave a “trace” which will be added to the permanent art collection at West Acres;
- Leverage public or social media opportunities to promote your artist-in-residency and your work while at West Acres;
- Provide feedback to West Acres regarding the program for the benefit of future participants, both during and post residency;
- Provide monthly sales information to West Acres, and a percentage commission to West Acres of 10% on any sales generated through the Residency/the West Acres’ space such as fees from classes, sales of art work, or the sale of merchandise related directly to your original artwork (cards, shirts, music downloads, etc.)
- Sign an Artist-In-Residency agreement form.
Your project description in the application should:
- Describe the artistic discipline;
- Describe your artistic process;
- Provide three—five pictures, a short video, or a recording of your original work. If a group is applying, each person may submit three photos, a short video, or a recording.
- Specifically describe your commitment to the experience and learning, your customer engagement initiative that can involve guest interaction, an artistic experience, and/or education in the application. There are many ways to engage the guests such as hosting classes, engaging guests in the artistic process; educating them in the artist processes while working; etc. West Acres welcomes other creative methods of engagement in sharing your knowledge and experience to the West Acres’ community
- Describe what you expect to gain from being involved in this Residency program.
- Provide the dates and the length of time you plan on being in residency within the timeframe of June – August 2021.
If you have questions, please contact:
May 20-Jun 11, 2021