Store Spotlight: Stabo Scandinavian Imports
We love when a store can bring us back to our roots.Whether you’re a frequent shopper at Stabo or are just now being introduced, get a peek inside the store that specializes in Scandinavian goods and some insight on its history here at West Acres!
Throughout our history at West Acres, many times stores come and go, change locations, or go through complete renovations, but there has always been one store that stays true to it’s roots (and location) since our opening in 1972 – Stabo Scandinavian Imports.
It’s no secret that Stabo is the spot to shop for all-things Scandinavian, but something you can’t show through pictures is its sense of home. Many of its shoppers frequent the store because the products and services provided give the feeling of home, taking people back to their heritage and roots. Here’s a peek inside the cozy Scandinavian shop…
5 Fun Facts about Stabo
- The name of the store “Stabo” came from the Norwegian word “stabbur” which means storehouse.
- Sue, the store’s owner, has been there for over 30 years! She started working at Stabo part-time in 1982, and later became the store’s owner.
- Nearly all of Stabo’s products are imported from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. The products that aren’t still have a distinct Scandinavian style to them.
- Stabo has been in the same location in the mall since it opened in 1972.
- Stabo’s selection of items includes a variety of anything from glassware, jewelry, and sweaters, to woodcarvings, novelties, linens, rosemaling, candy, chocolate, food, books and many other unique gift items!
Information provided by Stabo.
Although quaint in size, there is nothing small about the amount of products Stabo sells. There is something for everyone – whether it’s a handpicked gift or just a sense of home. Stop by the store, located near Center Court, to see for yourself!
To see a special story on Stabo from last year on WDAY, click here.